Vice President of Finance and Operations
One in five Canadian adults suffers from chronic pain and mental illness is experienced by one in three. Mental and physical health are linked. Inagene Diagnostics Inc. introduced a simple cheek swab test that helps doctors predict how individuals will respond to a medication before it is administered. This best-in-class decision support tool helps clinicians, and their patients choose the right medication, avoiding the lengthy, and frustrating, process of trial and error.
According to the Canadian Mental Health Association, the pandemic has intensified feelings of stress and anxiety, causing alarming levels of despair, suicidal thoughts, and hopelessness in the population. Unrelieved pain costs Canadians an estimated $43-60 billion per year in health care expenditures and lost productivity, according to the Canadian Pain Research Summit Report. Patients will undergo an odyssey of different treatments, leading to waste, prolonged suffering, and even opioid addiction. A person’s response to medications can be explained by their unique pharmacogenetic profile.
Inagene’s Personalized Insights™ test helps individuals find the right medication. Two out of three patients will fail their first medication trial. Inagene’s test provides guidance regarding the possible ineffectiveness or otherwise unforeseen, and potentially severe, side-effects of treatments, including cannabis. The quality of Inagene’s test is ensured by its own sole purpose, genetic testing, and research lab in downtown Toronto.
Job Summary (Primary Function):
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Finance and Operations will play a key role within the Inagene leadership team. The Vice President of Finance and Operations will support the CEO in areas of financial management, contracts management, HR, legal, fund raising, and compliance, insurance and other areas as required.
Essential Functions of the Job (Key Responsibilities):
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial, management and Board reports
- Responsible for the integrity, accuracy, and timely preparation of financial and tax records
- Implement and maintain compliance with appropriate accounting and internal control framework(s)
- Develop financial policies and ensure best practice and standardization of accounting policies
- Oversee financial systems implementations and upgrades
- Manage the development of the annual operating plan and the strategic planning processes for the business
- Prepare & control budgets and track cash flow
- Develop a forecasting and modeling discipline that yields predictable views of the business' financial goals
- Prepare, manage and monitor the sales forecast
- Identify risks and opportunities across the business based on data-driven insights
- Provide decision support on both on-going business and the development of new opportunities
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested
- Coordinate all fund raising (dilutive and non-dilutive) activities.
- Prepare board meetings (with CEO)
Administration / Back office:
- Managing or overseeing the relationship with independent auditors
- Manage banking relationships
- Administer employee contracts, holidays, sick leave, medical coverage, etc.
- Identify and manage business risks and insurance requirements; manage D&O and all other insurance
- Manage IT systems
- Support the CEO in all fundraising related activities
- Responsible for financial due diligence in investment process
- Review investment agreements
Qualifications (Minimal acceptable level of education, work experience, and competency):
- CPA designation with a preference for MBA
- Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), accounting standards for private enterprises (ASPE) and/or US generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical, strategic planning and communication skills, including an ability to work well with members of the leadership team and Board of Directors
- 5 years (or more) experience of hands-on leadership of finance/accounting team, preferably in a high growth environment
- Team player with a high tolerance for rapidly changing environment; keen sense of risk vs. return trade-offs in the health technology sector
- A strong sense of entrepreneurship, a desire to build and benefit through equity upside
- Demonstrated ability to shift between day-to-day operations and strategic thinking
- Experience in a reporting environment within the financial services industry is required
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills – ability to take complex information and tailor it to suit the knowledge-level of the audience
- Ability to quickly prioritize and resolve critical issues as they arise
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
- Collaborative and open, partners effectively with others in the organization
- Analytic and critical thinking capability, with strong attention to detail; ability to tackle complex problems and break them down into simpler and easier to achieve targets
- High sense of urgency in providing a strong level of service and follow-through
- Hands-on, proven leader, that rolls up the sleeves and leads by example.
- Experience in healthcare sector (preference)
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required.
Inagene Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. Inagene welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation or other grounds protected by human rights legislation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume