The Medical Science Liaison (MSL)
One in five Canadian adults suffers from chronic pain and mental illness is experienced by one in three. Mental and physical health are linked. Inagene Diagnostics Inc. introduced a simple cheek swab test that helps doctors predict how individuals will respond to a drug before it is administered. This best-in-class decision support tool helps clinicians and their patients choose the right medication, avoiding the lengthy, and frustrating, process of trial and error.
According to the Canadian Mental Health Association, the second wave of the pandemic has intensified feelings of stress and anxiety, causing alarming levels of despair, suicidal thoughts and hopelessness in the population. Unrelieved pain costs Canadians an estimated $43-60 billion per year in health care expenditures and lost productivity, according to the Canadian Pain Research Summit Report. Patients will undergo an odyssey of different treatments, leading to waste, prolonged suffering, and even opioid addiction. A person’s response to medications can be explained by their unique pharmacogenetic profile.
Inagene’s Personalized Insights™ test helps individuals find the right medication. Two out of three patients will fail their first medication trial. Inagene’s test provides guidance regarding the possible ineffectiveness or otherwise unforeseen, and potentially severe, side-effects of treatments, including cannabis. The quality of Inagene’s test is ensured by its own sole purpose, genetic testing and research lab in downtown Toronto.
Job Summary (Primary Function):
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based medical/scientific expert for the company, focusing on engagement with healthcare providers to provide education on Inagene pharmacogenetic products, understanding the evolving diagnostic landscape, and supporting research collaborations across the Inagene portfolio.
Essential Functions of the Job (Key Responsibilities):
- Identifies, establishes, and maintains collaborative relationships with key healthcare professionals, investigators, institutions, groups and consortia strategic to the use of company products
- Provides education to the healthcare community on Inagene products and areas of focus
- Increases company visibility and enhances professional interaction with current and future pharmacogenetic leaders
- Identifies clinical research opportunities that are consistent with company objectives
- Represents the primary contact for investigator-initiated research projects, facilitating the process from concept submission through publication
- Identifies and communicates key clinical and research insights to help shape company research, and to ensure appropriate use of Inagene marketed products
- Maintains a high level of clinical and scientific expertise through ongoing training and self-education, including attendance at relevant conferences and review of key publications
- Gathers and disseminates competitive intelligence in a compliant manner
- Proactively collaborates with the cross functional Inagene team, and takes advantage of opportunities to mentor other team members
- Substantively contributes to, and provides medical leadership Inagene programs/projects
- Provides responses to requests for medical information
- Develops (and sometimes delivers) training on Pharmacogenetics and Inagene's products
- Creates and or contributes to creation of scientific materials and communications to facilitate sharing of key data and insights to medical experts and healthcare providers
- Conducts regular literature reviews on relevant topics and shares key insights with the internal team and external partners where appropriate
- Builds/maintains strong knowledge in genetics/pharmacogenetics and in target disease states (i.e., Pain Management, Mental Health and Neurology), and appropriate knowledge level regarding pharmacogenetics in other disease states covered by our PrecisonRx test.
- Demonstrates excellence in conducting clinical research/trials, leveraging strong understanding of the principals of trial design, biostatistics
- Consistently demonstrates excellent analytical, communication and presentation skills and solid experience in
- Completes accurate and timely reports, project plans, and required documentation requests
Qualifications (Minimal acceptable level of education, work experience, and competency):
- An advanced degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD), with prior experience in the biotech/genetics industry, is strongly preferred
- Prior MSL or relevant experience is an asset
- Broad knowledge of pharmacogenetics is preferred
- Clinical research experience is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Strong problem solving, decision-making, and negotiation skills
- Ability to think strategically and apply knowledge and analytical skills
- Ability to summarize complex scientific information and present in a clear, concise, confident, and scientifically accurate and balanced manner to a range of audiences
- Ability to network and partner with external customers, including medical thought leaders, academic institutions, research consortia, and practice networks
- Thrives in a team environment and enjoys cross-functional collaboration; positively contributes to team culture
- Possesses demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and can step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
- Diplomatic, collaborative, hands on and team oriented
- Demonstrates deep therapeutic competency; stays abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area, as well as the profession at large
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential, capability in French is desirable.
- Travel required as needed to meet business needs and perform job functions estimated at 30% domestically (e.g., internal meetings, medical meetings/conferences, KOL engagements, advisory board meetings, etc.) and internationally (attend North America/global meetings)
- Experienced in making presentations at conferences, client meetings and training sessions; and
- Strong scientific curiosity and an eagerness to explore new products and therapeutic areas
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required.
Inagene Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. Inagene welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodation or other grounds protected by human rights legislation during the recruitment process so that we can work with you to meet your needs.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter and resume